A Couple Trying to Make It Between the Sheets.
Adult Content: 18 and older please!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stepping onto my soap box...

I've never considered myself a political person.  Honestly I don't give a damn as all bureaucrats are, in my opinion evil and out to only help themselves.  Cynical I know.  I don't vote due to apathy and therefore I have no right to complain about who is in office, but I would like to say a few things about something our president is going to do today: veto the embryonic stem cell research bill.
 
I have been a type I diabetic for more then 27 years.  In that time, I have taken more then 26,000 insulin injections, had roughly 40,000 finger sticks to check blood glucose, and have spent approximately $75,000.00 in medical care procedures and supplies.  As a child growing up in a hick town, I endured ridicule, discrimination, and segregation.  I was always different and and often treated as if I was breakable.  I was rarely invited over for dinner and few risked the responsibility of asking me over for the night.  Did I have a bad childhood? No.  I think that all in all I had a pretty good childhood.  But it wasn't easy, not that any one's is but I was held back because of my disease.  However, if Jane and I were to have a baby, there is a 50% chance that that baby would be born diabetic.  That is the main reason I don't want children.  I'm not sure I could handle putting a child through what I went through.  It just seems unfair.
 
According the the ADA (American Diabetes Association),  more then 20 Million people in the U.S. have diabetes.  That is 7% of the population - nearly 1 in 10.  1 in 3 children will develop diabetes in his/her lifetime.  If there was anything that we could do to fix this, anything that could be done so that maybe those diagnosed would not have to suffer, shouldn't we do it?  The good news is there is something we can do.  The bad news is that by the time you read this, it is likely that our president has already vetoed that possibility.
 
There are likely those reading this and thinking that there are other ways to support research and finding a cure - ie: Adult stem cells.  I agree completely, but shouldn't we be doing everything in our power?  By vetoing this bill, President Bush is preventing families from donating embryos to research.  What will likely happen to these embryos now?  Nothing.  They will be discarded.  These embryos are just sitting in fertility clinics waiting to be tossed! 
 
The President states that he is "honor bound" and that he "morally" must stop this bill.  I don't recall his job to be to impart his morals on the U.S. citizens.  It passed the senate, it passed the house, polls show that the majority of the people are in agreement of its passing, and yet one small man will stand in its way and slow the progress towards a cure.  And its not just Diabetes.  He is slowing the progress for a cure to Cancer, Heart Disease, Alzhimers, Parkinson's, Lou Gehrig's Disease, spinal chord injuries, Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration and a plethora of otherwise incurable diseases.
 
I just wanted to say, thank you Mr. President.  I sincerely hope that not you nor anyone you love is ever diagnosed with any of the above.  But I do hope that you would go to the hospitals and explain to the children with leukemia or to the families whose parents no longer recognize who they are, why your morals are condemning them.
 
Stepping off my soap box...

 

 

4 Comments:

  • I learned this last week that there are companies out there that store/save stem cells from a baby's cord.

    I think they are called blood cord banks. The sad part is it costs around $1000 upfront and roughly $100 a month to save, but they can be used for the child or anyone in your family.

    Your own personal stem cells that will match your type. Amazing.

    I wish doing this was mandatory or a gov't program to not let them go to waste.

    As far as the president, I think his stance was to be strongly anti-abortion and not anti-stem cells. I understand what you're saying too. My father is diabetic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM  

  • I agree regarding the bank, however the most useful stem cells are called pluripotent stem cells. These cells can be cultivated into anything, where as even umbilical chord stem cells have limitations.

    Also, I find it ironic that being pro-life precludes you from helping those already living.

    By Blogger John Doe, at 11:49 AM  

  • I'm with you, both in your view about government officials and stem cell research. It's pretty hypocritical of him to ban stem cell research (because it's all about the innocent babies) and yet be so supportive of killing both overseas (war) and here (via capital punishment.

    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:00 AM  

  • When i had all three of my kids they took the stem cells. It's standard over here (UK)txumhj- well they ask if you agree first! I have no idea actually what happens to it.

    By Blogger Jemima, at 8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker